Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas Eve

Since I had more time at home this year before Christmas, I decided to put out a few more decorations than I normally do. These are little cardboard houses that my family put out with our Christmas train layout. They're fairly old. Perhaps from the 30's or 40's? They are hollow with holes in the back, sized to hold a light.


Christmas houses



When I was in my early teens or so I attempted to "fix up" the houses by removing the old, torn cellophane windows and doors, which had been poked at for years by little children's fingers (mine included). Of course I probably shouldn't have done that and certainly not with the red cellophane I used. It's also my "artistry" on the front doors.


Christmas houses


I loved these houses so much that when I was first out on my own and celebrating Christmas thousands of miles away from family, I found and purchased small houses to decorate my own Christmas layout. This year I put up both sets, but the old houses are safely away from the paws of little cats. I only wish the old houses had been kept safe from my hands as a child.

As a child I was always making things and of course I continue today. Last week I took a class to learn how to make fabric baskets. I chose some Christmas themed fabric and created this basket. It's made by wrapping strips of fabric around cotton cording and zig-zag stitching the cording together. You start with the bottom and work you way up to the top, shaping the basket as you stitch.


Fabric basket


I was warned that making these baskets is addictive and I believe it! I already have fabric combinations picked out for some more.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!

2 comments:

  1. These remind me of some tree lights that we had when I was a child. Also little houses of different types with a light inside so they looked all lit up (duh) and warm and "Christmasy" somehow. I know I always wanted to take them apart to see what was inside! Don't know where they got to though....

    Merry Christmas Lori!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cardboard houses are really lovely! I haven't seen those for a while but I remember them from when I was a child!
    I hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete