Friday, December 21, 2012

Pfeffernusse

Here's my grandmother's Pfeffernusse recipe. I make half, which produces plenty of cookies, at least 5 dozen, but here is the full recipe:

2 1/2 lbs flour (8 3/4 cups)
1/2 lb brown sugar (1 1/8 cups)
1 1/2 lb dark Karo syrup (2 1/2 cups or 1 jar  + 4 oz)
1/2 lb butter (2 sticks)
2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp baking soda disolved in a little water
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp crushed anise seeds
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt

Mix and heat the syrup, sugar and butter. Add 1/2 of the flour and dry ingredients. Cool, then add the rest of the ingredients. Cover and let set in a cool place for 2 weeks*. Roll dough into a sausage. Cut pieces about 1/2 to 3/4 inches thick. Bake in a 375 deg oven for about 11 minutes. Let cool and coat with powdered sugar (put in a gallon sized zip-lock bag and shake).


 *I never actually let it sit for 2 weeks, and I'm not sure of the purpose for letting it sit for so long. I sometimes refrigerate it over night after I've rolled it, because the dough is very stiff.

No comments:

Post a Comment