Wednesday, March 02, 2016

Style Arc or Burda?

I've watched the sewing community's interest in Style Arc from afar. The patterns look nice and the sketches make the designs look very appealing. Also, and maybe most importantly, the patterns have gotten fairly good reviews overall. But at $10-$12 (US) a pattern + the shipping from Australia ($$), I haven't bitten. Also, they're single-size patterns, so you better get your size right! They do sell some of the patterns in multi-size versions through amazon.com, which in addition to helping with the size issue also helps reduce the shipping costs. And I hear you can buy their patterns as pdf files on Etsy, but they're still pricey at $7+ (US) and you have to print them out and tape them together. I'm not a fan of pdf patterns - I'd rather trace. In fact I have two free pdf Style Arc patterns and I haven't attempted either one yet.

I think too that what's keeping me from buying any Style Arc patterns is that the designs remind me of patterns I already have, mostly among my many Burda pattern magazines. I received an email from Style Arc advertising their March patterns and at first glance I really liked them - a dress with a boxy jacket.


Photo property of Style Arc
 
I thought maybe I'd break down and buy my first patterns from them but then I browsed my Burda collection. Just add sleeves...


From BurdaStyle 06/2013 #116




I couldn't find as close a match for the jacket but these aren't too far off:


From BurdaStyle 02/2014 #132


From BurdaStyle 09/2014 #127
 


BurdaStyle 08/2015 #109
 

So I guess I'll just stick to my Burdas for now, especially because I have sewn Burda before and know that they fit me. Sorry Style Arc.

6 comments:

  1. I like Style Arc a lot for what I've sewn but I was surprised that this March release wasn't "new/fresh" at all and that seems to be what they're really good at!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe they've gotten too comfortable with the demand for their patterns and aren't challenging themselves to come up with new designs.

      Delete
  2. The burdavisor.ru database makes it so much easier to search my Burda stash. I hope they can continue to produce it. As far as Style Arc, it is a shame that they aren't as fashion forward anymore. The same thing seemed to happen with Patrones and Hot Patterns - or maybe the novelty is wearing off and we just perceive that they're not fresh looks anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I stumbled across your blog and have bookmarked it for the future.
    I sew only a little.....I have made the Mollie top which was not a success, both it and the pattern went in the bin.
    I have the Linda pants pattern and the Mason jacket, both as yet unmade.
    Wasn't impressed with the Mollie top at all....far too much 'fall' on the cowl neck. Will give them another chance with the other patterns.
    Best Wishes from Northern Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce! Welcome to my blog!

      Delete
  4. Hello, I stumbled across your blog and have bookmarked it for the future.
    I sew only a little.....I have made the Mollie top which was not a success, both it and the pattern went in the bin.
    I have the Linda pants pattern and the Mason jacket, both as yet unmade.
    Wasn't impressed with the Mollie top at all....far too much 'fall' on the cowl neck. Will give them another chance with the other patterns.
    Best Wishes from Northern Ireland.

    ReplyDelete