Friday, June 24, 2016

What a difference color makes

My latest sewing projects are good examples of how different use of color can totally change the look.

My first project is actually a redo. I made this top late last summer - so late that it turned cool before I could wear it, but it was looking like I was never going to wear it anyway. I wasn't pleased with how it turned out. It fit ok but the white binding - I used a cotton/linen blend - was too stiff and too bright. I couldn't help but think "hospital gown" when I looked at it. So I changed the binding.


Before

 
After
It was a crazy amount of work to change the binding, but worth it because now I will wear the top. I used some rayon binding that is probably meant for finishing seam allowances but I think it works well as trim here, both for the color and because it's softer. I machine stitched the strip to the edges first and then hand sewed the other edge in place since it wanted to twist when I tried stitching in the ditch.

Much nicer, I think.

The second project is a top I made using two coordinating knit prints, one a print and one solid. The pattern I used is from the May 2016 issue of Knipmode - actually I used the German version "Fashion Style", but it's the same magazine.


I couldn't decide whether to use the print on top or bottom so I asked my sewing friends. They unanimously said "print on top" so that's what I did.



But look how different the shirt would look with the print on the bottom:



The use of color is ultimately a personal choice. There are no rules but there are color relationships that seem to be more or less favorable to the majority of people. When I was searching pictures on line to see other examples of two-tone shirts, I found more had the darker color on top and the lighter on the bottom, regardless of whether there were prints involved or not.

When I'm planning my sewing, knitting, or weaving projects I often get stuck on how to best use color. I have a book in my library that might help with this, and I should really take some time to read it!



4 comments:

  1. That binding change makes an astonishing difference. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I took the time to change the binding, and I learned that I should go with my gut sometimes. I saw that rayon binding in the store when I bought the fabric to make the white binding. I don't know why I didn't just buy it then!

      Delete
  2. Totally agree with Lisa - the binding change makes a world of difference. - Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating!! It is much better and much more wearable with the blue binding!

    And I like the solid yoke + print bottom better in the top too.

    ReplyDelete