It was a beautiful day and the roses smelled so good too!
The spinners and weavers were eager to chat.
When I got home, I was inspired to get out my spinning wheel.
At the Fiber Arts Day I learned there's a weaving guild that meets on the second Saturday of the month and a spinning guild that meets on the fourth Saturday (and the American Sewing Guild meets on the third Saturday of the month - convenient that they all meet on different Saturdays but I don't know that I can devote nearly every Saturday to fiber arts!). I did attend the spinning guild meeting last month and made a few new friends. Tomorrow I'm going to the weaving guild meeting - my first time attending. I haven't done any weaving since I've moved here but I think I'll start a project soon. I have an idea for a band I want to weave on my inkle loom.
I also found out about the Weaving and Fiber Festival, held every year in May, and was just in time to go to it this year. I may have made a few purchases at the festival...
|Fiber to spin, yarn and yarn kits to weave, and new tools for weaving and spinning.|
Add this to the haul from the LA Country Yarn Crawl in April:
|The yarn stores in the area offer free patterns and 10% off the yarn for it. |
Of course they choose the luxurious yarns that are too tempting to pass up!
I have to juggle my interests, doing one for a little bit of time and then moving to another, but I still manage to do work on a little bit of everything.
The little quilt has turned from pieces...
into an almost completed project.
I'm learning to crochet granny squares using some cotton yarn I purchased in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina. Not sure what I'll make with it - maybe a bag or something.
I finished knitting some scarves, from the pattern book Curls by Hunter Hammersen. I'm working on a third one using some of the yarn I bought from the LA Yarn Crawl.
|Full shape while being blocked|
|A lot of orange!|
I also have a sock knitting project, but I keep it at work for my Tuesday lunch time knitting meetups with co-workers.
And today I did some more sewing. A coworker wanted to make a costume for an upcoming Cosplay convention and I offered to help her. So she came over today and we found a pattern in one of my sewing magazines, traced it, made a muslin, made some changes to the pattern to match the character, and sewed up this vest:
She wants to be this character from a video game (it's Barbarian Armor from Zelda - I had to look it up!)
I think that brings my project tally up to date!