Thursday, March 10, 2005

Just one more skein!

Drat. I need just one skein of Patons Up Country to finish the kitty bed. Last fall I started knitting cat beds out of wool yarn and then felting them. I actually found a 100% wool yarn at Michaels (gasp!) and started knitting. I didn’t really pay much attention to gauge, since this was a cat bed after all and it was going to shrink in the washing machine on it’s way to be felted. I started out buying two or three skeins per bed – I was going to make four. I had a sort of color scheme for each cat: brown and cream for Felix, gray for Ella, blue for Sergei and a mixture of the leftovers for Abby. There are no leftovers. In fact I had to keep buying more yarn. Ella’s bed turned into gray, cream, and light gray when I couldn’t find any more gray in the store. Then Sergei’s bed became blue and light blue when I couldn’t get any more blue. I wish I’d bought two balls of light blue because now his bed is going to be blue, light blue and dark gray. Not what I’d planned on but Paton’s Up Country is no longer carried at Michaels and I’m not going to pay a ridiculous amount to order it from overseas because that’s the only place I can find it online. And Abby’s bed? Well, she wasn’t going to get one but now that they’ve discontinued the yarn and dropped the price, I picked up 6 balls of the dark gray. I’m going to make one more bed and I’m not going to run out!

The beds turned out really well. Ella loves hers. She loved to sleep on top of the fishtank since the lid is warmed by the aquarium lights underneath, so I put her bed up there and now it is very snuggly warm. She sleeps there every day. Felix likes his bed too but his was on the floor and Ella has asserted her dominance over him and peed in it twice now. I have to keep washing it. Thank goodness it’s felted already! But I haven’t put the bed back out for him, because I don’t know how to keep Ella away from it. Ella and Felix are constantly fighting each other. Felix lies in wait and attacks her so I guess her retaliation is to pee in his bed. I hope she doesn’t spoil Sergei’s bed too. Ella doesn’t hate Sergei but she doesn’t acknowledge him either. Sergei and Abby might as well be invisible to her. Cats!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:56 AM

    Paton discontinued the yarn, that's why. It sucks, I loved it. The yarn store around the corner from me still has some stock, which I'm planning to buy out next payday.

    I'm so sick of fun fur and eyelash junk. I love chunky yarn. :)

    ReplyDelete