Wednesday, February 21, 2007

When I'm not sewing

I buy patterns. And sometimes fabric, but fortunately I only bought patterns this time. Both Joanns and Hancock Fabrics had pattern sales this past weekend.

Vogue 2896: I envision this jacket in a silk dupioni. I reviewed my stash and of course I have silk dupioni. Um... like four different colors to choose from.



Vogue 8353: Cute! I would choose a solid or small-print fabric though.


Vogue 8326: I bought this one for the ruching of the bodice, not the sleeves. Those sleeves are a bit too dramatic for me.


Simplicity 4193: I like the halter top as a top or dress and I also like the skirt.


Simplicity 3956: This one looked very familiar to me in the store and I thought I might already own it, but I couldn't find it in my sewing room. And I'm sure there's a Burda WOF pattern close to it, but for $1, why not?


Simplicity 3918: This top is a pretty common style right now and might very well be in my Burda WOF issues, but again...$1.

Simplicity 3893: Hmmm, there's a theme of floaty-summertime tops here. This one can also be done in a knit.



Simplicity 3867: Yet another floaty top. This pattern has been featured a lot lately. It's on the cover of the new Threads publication Sew Stylish, and a number of people on patternreview and in the sewing-blog world are expressing interest in making it. And not a bad deal to get patterns for a dress, top, shorts, jacket and handbag for a buck. Woohoo!


Now if only the sewing fairy would come and block off a lot of quiet, uninterrupted sewing time for me. When I'm not working (or blogging or reading blogs) I'm knitting. I've been knitting-crazed for a while now. And this weekend is Stitches! I've been looking forward to this weekend for months! So the sewing will have to wait a bit.

And just in case you're wondering what happened to the Burda jacket pattern, well it's stalled. I've been too busy knitting. But at the rate I sew, the jacket will be done for fall and I'll have to hope that floaty-summertime tops are still in style next summer. I never did finish my tiered skirt I started last summer out of my Paris fabric and now I read that tiered skirts are so last year. I still want to finish it and I'll wear it to work anyway because (most of) the people I work with are so unfashionable they won't notice. Casual-Friday is every day and you don't want to see what they wear on Friday. There's one administrative assistant I occasionally see who is very into style and clothing. I passed by her one morning in my faux shearling coat (bought from Macy's) and she complimented me on it. I'd better not wear my tiered skirt around her - she might inform me how it's so last year.

3 comments:

  1. I bought some of the same patterns recently. I don't get Burda WOF so its interesting to hear which Big 4 styles are close to what is in WOF.

    And when you find that sewing fairy would you please send her my way when she's done with you? I sure could use some quiet, uninterrupted sewing time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:39 PM

    There is a thin layer of dust already settling on my brand-new hand-me-down sewing machine.
    I should wander over to the fabric store and buy a pattern and material to get started. Any recommendations on simple patterns?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:40 PM

    There is a thin layer of dust already settling on my brand-new hand-me-down sewing machine.
    I should wander over to the fabric store and buy a pattern and material to get started. Any recommendations on simple patterns?

    ReplyDelete