Saturday, February 06, 2010

Itching to sew

I haven't sewn in about a year, mostly due to the fact that my sewing area is buried under stuff that I had to move out of sewing room #2 during the house renovations so we could sleep in there. Too much stuff. Work on sewing room #2 will commence shortly...well, as soon as I move the remaining stuff out of sewing room #2. Until then I think about the day when I will return to the sewing machine.Where did all this stuff come from??? We watch Hoarders on A&E and I can honestly relate...to some of it.

I could clean up the sewing area, find some other place to stash the stuff, but I would have to clear a lot of things out of the way, and I simply don't have the energy or time right now. And I can't sew amidst chaos so I guess there will be no sewing for a while. I need to organize all of the pieces of the project, and I can only have one project in front of me. When I was in college, preparing for finals week was a project in itself. I would gather up the notes, books and other material and neatly organize and stack them for each class. Only then could I start studying. It's the same with sewing.

Last night I went shopping for a dress to wear for "formal night" on a 4-night cruise I'm going on later this month (it's actually for my work's annual meeting). I've never been on a cruise before so I don't know how formal to dress but I have been instructed to wear a cocktail dress, dressy pantsuit or gown. While shopping at Macys I couldn't help but think about all the dress patterns and fabric I have and how I could make a dress that fit so much better than the ones I was trying on. Nearly every dress was too tight in the hips and at the same time too big in the bust. Sigh. But I scored at Nordstrom Off the Rack. I found a simple, long, black knit dress and it was on sale and only $16. Unbelievable. It is sleeveless but the straps are wide enough to hide bra straps, and the top is the "twisty-top" style so it can fit bust sizes large or small. I plan to dress it up with jewelry and wear a cashmere lace shawl I knit. The other great thing is that the dress will take up very little room in my suitcase. I think it's a perfect dress to bring for only a few hours of formal dress-up time.

Thinking last night about the dresses I could sew really got me in the mood to get back to the sewing maching, but I guess not enough to find some place to put all that excess stuff. However I hope that it's enough to light a fire under me to get sewing room #2 cleared out so that the work can begin.

1 comment:

  1. That's great you did so well in buying a versatile and comfortable dress. I understand how you want your sewing room to be in order before you sew, and think you are smart to keep your pressure down by just buying the dress you need on your cruise. Have a good time!

    ReplyDelete