The zucchini muffins I tried this weekend did not turn out. Maybe I made a mistake somewhere or maybe there's an error in the recipe. I'd like to find out. I was surprised when I went back to look up the recipe that it's in a Bernard Clayton cookbook: Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads. I hadn't made anything from this cookbook although we really like and use his other book The Breads of France: And How to Bake Them in Your Own Kitchen. Based on this one failure I was ready to give this cookbook away but I may re-think that.
I was going to print the recipe here but realized that I might be violating copyright laws by doing that, although a quick google search revealed that the recipe is already out there.
Here it is (with no reference to Bernard Clayton's book - shame on them)
And here it is again on a blog (with a reference) and it apparently turned out just fine for the author and at least one person who commented. Well. I honestly don't think I made an error. Perhaps it was the applesauce substitution. Or maybe my zucchini was overly moist. Maybe my oven (a Viking, gas convection) was too hot and they simply got done too soon on the outside and not enough on the inside. I have to say that my muffins did look like the ones in the picture on the blog.