I finally finished this sweater a few months ago and wore it in January when we went skiing (not while I was skiing, but afterward). It is very warm, to say the least.
You can see the Ravelry project info here. The link should work for everyone, even if you don't have a Ravelry account, but in case you have problems or don't want to go there, here is the basic info:
Yarn: Ella Rae Palermo - 100% wool (now discontinued)
Pattern: Ella Rae Celeste
Needle size: US 8 (5 mm)
Amount of yarn used: 16 balls (50 g each), about 1760 yards
I started this in 2010, but worked on it intermittently because a big bulky sweater is not something you need in California. But when I found out I was moving to Germany, where it is colder in the winter, I decided to bring it along and finish it.
I ran into problems right away with my gauge - I had too few stitches per 10 cm than called for even though I was using the yarn and needle size called for by the pattern. I think I changed needle size to get the correct gauge but the resulting fabric was too dense for my liking. So I decided to knit a smaller size, which worked fine until I got to the armhole and neckline shaping. I changed the rate of decreases or bind-offs (don't remember what the pattern used) and fudged my way through it and by some miracle it actually worked out. I think the neckline is a bit bigger than the pattern design, but I kind of like it. The sleeves came out to be the perfect length (they are the same size, I think I just didn't adjust the sweater on my dress form evenly).
Now I just need some really cold weather so I can wear it again.