Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Knitted cowls

I finished knitting two cowls. I prefer cowls to open ended scarves because I hate when scarves unwrap themselves or they get caught up in my coat when I try to unwrap them and I feel a bit strangled.

I'll probably wear it twisted one more time, but here you can see the pattern
 

I used yarn that I bought during our trip to Edinburgh, Scotland in July. It's actually two yarns: a wool/silk blend from Eden Cottage Yarns and mohair/silk blend from Woollenflower. I bought the two yarns intending to combine them and make a cowl like this. The pattern is from Ravelry, it's called "That Nice Stitch."


Folded over, it's like a big turtleneck.


This cowl uses about 1/2 to 2/3 of a skein of Zauberball, which is a German yarn that comes dyed with this gradient effect. I bought the yarn in a yarn shop in a small town outside of Stuttgart a few years ago. The shop had a cowl made out of it, which caught my eye so I decided to make one for myself. The woman in the store told me it was just a cast-on of 200 stitches on size 2.5 mm needles (US 1 1/2) and a 2x2 rib (2 knit, 2 purl) - no pattern needed.

In other knitting news, I'm almost finished with a second sock, I'm blocking the pieces to a sweater I recently finished knitting, and I'm casting on to make myself a vest. Busy needles!

No comments:

Post a Comment